Amazon Carousel

Friday, December 3, 2010

Lucy and Iggy

Lucy and Iggy have both matured a lot this past year, but Lucy's motor skills have really advanced in the past couple of weeks. She is also quite the mimic and follows me around the house "helping" me (undoing my housework much of the time). By the end of the day, the house is gloriously messy with her snacks and schoolwork strewn all over the floor. I see it as a sign that she's comfortable exploring her world.

It's unfortunate that I didn't have this perspective when Iggy was the same age. I was so concerned with things staying clean and apprehensive about him getting into things that I constantly scolded him. It was a really stunting approach, and probably the root of a lot of frustration for him. He is only, just now, feeling comfortable ownership of his time, his choices and his environment. Better late than never, I guess.

They're also both pretty great about really helping when it's clean up time. Lucy puts her things away and Iggy sweeps the floor with the swivel sweeper. Then we all stand back and admire the clean before bed. Then we get up and mess it all up again the next day. It's a nice routine.

Part of me is sad this week - several freezing nights and the garden really has given up the ghost for Winter. Everything is dead except for a few hardy stalks of Swiss Chard and the carrots that I got into the ground too late this year. Oh, how I love that garden. It's been one of the happiest things about moving to Oklahoma and one of the nicest gifts of this wonderful old rent house. I don't know if I would have attempted the garden if the previous tenant hadn't left one behind. When we got here last Summer, we were truly amazed at the beets and basil and tomatoes growing in our backyard. There is nothing like the pride of picking your own fresh food.

When Larry suggested we plant a late garden for my birthday and Mother's Day, and spent an entire sweaty day digging out the beds for me, I couldn't imagine my little plants growing so big and making so much food. Then he planted a garden in the new community garden at his work, and we had food from that garden, too. Some things that did amazing in my garden (like peppers and tomatoes) didn't fare well in his. Other things that wouldn't survive in my garden, the squash vine borers destroyed all my summer squash, went crazy in his. We had vegetables to eat nearly every day. I can't wait to do it all again next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment